The Movement for Community-led Development (mcld.org) seeks to hire a business development manager based in Washington, DC with strong experience applying for and negotiating grants from USAID and major US based foundations.
MCLD, a global “network of networks,” comprising more than 2,000 local civil society organizations in 30 countries, is working to influence USAID, other bilateral agencies and foundations as they transform themselves to fulfill their commitment to locally-led development.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, hands-on team member who can work closely with MCLD leadership to discover a funding opportunity that advances our mission, write the concept note/application and participate in co-creation meetings to partner with USAID and other funders in ways they have perhaps never done before.
This is not the typical Washington Business Development job. We are a small global team, passionate about what we do and committed to values-based partnerships. This job is NOT for someone who expects to manage their own BD team, competing for traditional RFAs. At MCLD, we are constantly working to transform the current inequitable, unjust and colonial systems and we are looking for a collaborator who can assist us in fuelling and realizing this transformation.
- Identify and develop new funding opportunities for MCLD; build a pipeline of relevant opportunities by tracking institutional and foundation announcements
- Build and maintain strong relationships with our partners, funders and allies through effective communication and regular follow-ups.
- Develop proposals and manage the entire proposal process ensuring the timely submission of the proposal and any follow ups as needed
- Negotiate contracts and pricing agreements with funders, consortium partners and peers
- Ensure financial reporting and compliance on existing grants, particularly USAID projects
- Assist MCLD National Associations (NAs) in the Majority World with their grant applications; develop templates to support them
- Mentor the leadership of the National Associations in grant-writing and business development procedures
- Develop and maintain robust documentation and record of meetings, negotiations and key decisions, to retain and enhance MCLD’s institutional knowledge and assets
- Minimum of five years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in a business development and partnership role
- At least 3-years experience with soliciting and managing USAID grants, including extensive knowledge of grant-making processes,rules and regulations
- Proven experience of writing grants and generating funding from major US based foundations and/or other bilateral funders
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- A demonstrated commitment to gender-focused and community-led development approaches.
- A demonstrated ability to win others over – to see new possibilities and create strategies to achieve them.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity, both individually and as part of a team and adjust to shifting priorities
- Proficiency in a second language (French, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic) is preferred.
MCLD is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. An ideal candidate would have extensive lived experience in the Majority World (“global south”) and profound respect for the rights of grassroots individuals to be the authors of their own development.
This is a hybrid position that requires flexible working hours and the ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
Salary: $80,000.00 – $84,000.00 per year plus a rich and flexible benefits package.
To apply, kindly email a cover letter, resume, and a brief (2-4 page) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org