Internal Elements of Your National Association
Governance: Authority and Decision-making
- Participatory Structures
- Gender- and age- balance
- Inviting and positive
- Growth opportunity for those involved
- Risk and conflict prevention and management should be addressed
- Various models available, e.g. consensus-based, steering committee, co-chairs, elections…
Membership guidelines: Who can join?
- Movements often thrive from dynamism that comes from diverse participants.
- Sometimes membership includes committing to specific kinds of involvement, or a small expense
- Consider criteria that might help protect the Association from “bad actors.” E.g. nomination by existing members, or demonstrated commitment to the values and principles of community-led development.
- Be prepared to explain to prospective members WHY they should join. What is the “value add”? Why is it worth their time and energy?